I really love pasta. I probably shouldn’t because of all the carbs but it’s so amazing! I think my favorite meal is actually lasagna. I’m not sure. My favorite foods are always changing. It’s like, I crave one particular thing for almost a month, and then I’m on to the next thing. But I’ve always enjoyed pasta smothered with cheese and marinara sauce. Please feel free to comment and share your ideas to make this dish a little better!
PREP TIME: 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 20 minutes | SERVINGS: 5
- 4 cups cooked pasta, penne or ziti
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce, preferably homemade (recipe below)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, ricotta, marinara sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Stir to mix well.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish, or individual ramekins, and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Best when eaten immediately.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can crushed or ground, peeled tomatoes
- 1 5-6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan completely. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, until browned.
- Lower the heat if they begin to burn. The more color that develops on the onion and garlic, the more flavor they’ll add to the finished sauce.
- Once the onions and garlic are tender and caramel in color, add the crushed tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients (oregano through pepper), stir, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover and let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the bottom does not burn.
Time to find another recipe to try out. Comment below and give me one of your favorite recipes 🙂