Lately, I’ve been trying out new recipes. This weekend, I have been craving soups like no other. My diet has been tough lately and I haven’t been able to satisfy my cravings. However, this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is quick, easy to make, and so delicious! I don’t think I will be including the crush red pepper again. It tasted a little spicy to me. I’m really sensitive to spices so you probably won’t tell a difference if it’s included or not.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 32 minutes | SERVINGS: 6
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (2 large breasts)
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 8.8 ounce package Three Cheese Tortellini
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves (1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves)
- 2 tablespoons packed frozen spinach (1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions. Saute for 3 minutes to soften. Then add the chopped bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Saute another 3 minutes.
- Add whole chicken breasts, chicken broth, dried thyme, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat a little and simmer 15 minutes, until the chicken in cooked through. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Turn the heat back to medium. With the broth still simmering, stir in the DeLallo Three Cheese Tortellini. Stir well so it doesn’t stick together. Then chop or shred the chicken and place back in the soup.
- Once the tortellini is cooked through, about 10-14 minutes, turn off the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream, spinach, and parsley. Add a little more cream if desired. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
I’m always looking for something new to try out. Comment below and give me your best recipe yet! 🙂