Awhile back, I wrote What I Would Tell My Younger Self and I realized how much I’ve changed. Especially how insecure I was. I was also inspired to write this when I came across Amethyst Rose Beauty’s blog. I realized that we all have insecurities and we shouldn’t let it take over our lives. Trying to change can be hard so start small. When you wake up in the morning, look at yourself in the mirror and say “I am beautiful” or compliment yourself anyway that you can. It took me a long time to like myself and that’s why I am sharing this with you.
Here’s my list of things I used to be insecure about!
1. The length of my hair— for about 6 years, I wore extensions. Little did I know, this was damaging my hair, making the ends fall off just as fast without wearing them. I didn’t like having shoulder length hair so I resorted to extensions. It took a lot out of me to stop wearing them. About two years ago, I stopped dying my hair blonde, stopped using heat products, and stopped wearing extensions. I went cold turkey. And now, I love my hair. It’s finally growing and looks healthy and thick.
2. Not fitting in— while I was at Iowa State, I wanted a social life. Friends. Best friends. I was in a completely different place, away from home, and surrounded by people I didn’t know. When I transferred, everyone had their own groups. I didn’t. So, I did everything I could to be apart of a group. I ended up going some christian groups. Honestly, I’m not very religious. So, I pushed myself to believe so people would accept me. It was silly. I shouldn’t of changed myself just to fit in. Now, I’m comfortable with myself and I don’t care if people dislike me. What matters is how I feel about myself.
3. The sound of my voice— in my opinion, I think I sound like a little girl. It’s very soft. It bothered me a lot when I was younger. Sometimes it does now but hardly ever. Only when someone is making fun of me. Which is a completely normal reaction. Now, I don’t really care what people say or think. I think my voice is perfect for me. It’s cute, soft, and not too high. I’m only 5’2 after all.
4. My appearance— all through out high school, I hated how I looked. My face and my body. I felt uncomfortable in my own skin. I would wear sweatshirts or oversized tops all the time because I didn’t want my stomach to show. I still wear oversized clothes but mostly during the winter and fall. I feel so cute when I’m all warm and comfy. Now, I feel more comfortable with my looks. I am who I am, so why not embrace it!
5. My body proportions— my arms feel longer than other’s so when I walk I feel like a monkey or something. My torso is short. My hips are only 6 inches down from my breasts. For my boobs, I think they are a little too big for me. I know that I shouldn’t be saying that but I WISH THEY WERE SMALLER. They just don’t look right on me. Now, I stopped caring. It isn’t that big of a deal to me mostly because I can’t do anything to change who I am. I’ve accepted it and don’t focus on how my body looks.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I still feel a little insecure about these things sometimes. But it’s rare. I encourage all of you to do a post like this! It really helped me realize how much I’ve changed and how much I appreciate and love myself! Thanks for reading!