I haven’t done a recipe in forever and my readers mentioned they wanted to see more so here it is! I’ve been trying new recipes, well, copy cat recipes that is. I used to eat these all the time when I was younger and occasionally when they offer it in the vending machines. They’re a little too sugary for me but still so good!
I N G R E D I E N T S :
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream
D E C O R A T I O N S :
- red food colorings
- multi-colored sprinkles
- animal-shaped cookie cutters
I N S T R U C T I O N S :
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour and powdered sugar.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to warm up for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly flour a rolling pan and work surface. Roll out cookie dough to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Stamp out as many cookies as you can with animal-shaped cookie cutters.
- Transfer cookies to the baking sheets with 1-inch spacing.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until the edges are a golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup of sugar and 4 tablespoons of whipped cream. Separate into 2 bowls and add red food coloring to one bowl.
- Dip the cookies face down into frosting and place on a piece of parchment paper. Add sprinkles after every 5 cookies.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set the icing before eating.
Don’t want to buy animal shaped cookie cutters? Any tiny shape will work. Maybe tiny hearts? Or mini stars! As much as I love these little animals I cannot resist already plotting a batch of holiday stars with festively red and green sprinkled tops!