So, I started watching a new series on Netflix called Riverdale. Maybe you’ve heard of it? It’s based off of a comic strip staring Archie Andrews. A teenage boy who struggles to focus on football, with the potential of becoming captain, while his heart is set on music. Archie and his friends discover the darkness in their small town, including a missing popular football star named Jason Blossom.
I would consider Riverdale to be that somewhat over-the-top guilty pleasure that has it’s flaws, but you can’t stop watching. I don’t know if it’s the surprisingly likable characters, my desperation to find out who did it, or the fact that I’m a sucker for a mystery. There’s something about this show that has me hooked.
We have Archie, the selfless friend of the bunch, with many secrets, who plays football but wants to pursue music. Then we have Betty, the perfect girl next door with a touch of a dark side, who struggles to separate herself from her controlling mother. Veronica is the rich new girl from New York who cares about her friends and the people around her. Not your typical snobby, dramatic, spoiled rich girl. Then there’s the actual spoiled rich girl named Cheryl Blossom who is the over-the-top mean-girl that keeps you drawn in with her twisted schemes, but, is still a character you love. Finally, there’s Jughead, the couch surfer and weirdo of the group that writes about the lives around him. Oh, and he is portrayed by COLE SPROUSE!
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE SHOW
- I couldn’t figure out who killed Jason Blossom, and that’s a compliment.
- The characters are interesting and all so different, which kept my attention.
- I love the story line and plot of this show
- Always love a good teenage drama mystery
- I was hooked on the first few episodes!
- All of the secrets and scandals are addictive
- It’s similar to Pretty Little Liars, the gossip and drama that is
- You don’t need to know the whole back story (comics) in order to like this show
WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT THE SHOW
- At times, it got a little dramatic but that’s still okay!
- The attention of the show is focused more on the relationships and secrets than the actual murder of Jason Blossom. Seemed like it got pushed aside.
- I don’t think the acting was all the great, sometimes it got a little cheesy.
Now then, let’s talk Netflix! Have you watched Riverdale yet? Have you read the Archie comics when you were growing up? What are you currently watching on Netflix? Let me know so comment below and share!