Recently, I watched a Netflix movie called To The Bone. I figured it was time to start watching it after seeing all the reviews and posts. Maybe you’ve heard of it? It’s about a young girl who suffers from Anorexia. After failing several recovery options and programs, she starts another with a new doctor in his in-patient house with 6 others.
I would consider To The Bone to be a serious movie that’s meant for mature audiences. It’s about eating disorders after all, which shouldn’t be taken lightly or as a joke. They’re considered to be the most deadly mental illnesses due to the difficulty to diagnose and treat. They’re usually about control and learning to eat in moderation.
We have the main character, Ellen, who starts another in-patient program to help recover from her Anorexia. With her unable to control her condition, she not longer receives support from her family. Only her step-mother, however, even she has given up. Then we have Lucas, a former english ballet dancer in recovery for both his anorexia and a knee injury that ended his career. He’s considered to be the upbeat cheerleader for the others with a special interest in Ellen. There are five others in the house who all have their own stories. There is Pearl, the odd ball of the group forced to use a feeding tube. Anna, who resorts to a secret throw up bag after meals. And Megan, who struggles to eat while pregnant.
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE MOVIE
- They didn’t glamorize being thin, in fact, they made it very clear that being THAT thin is not good and showed how it hurts everyone around her.
- It’s very informative on eating disorders and helps spread awareness.
- It shows a different way of recovery. It’s not a story on being sick, getting treatment, and then healed. Ellen doesn’t consider recovery until hitting rock bottom.
- The movie is very realistic and honest with such a tough subject matter.
WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT THE MOVIE
- The details shown in the movie could be dangerous to potential viewers like how to purge or count calories can come across as tips.
- I think the movie would’ve been better as a tv-show or mini series. At times it felt rushed, especially the ending and lack of other character development.
- The love interest didn’t feel real. I don’t like it when two characters meet and suddenly fall in love. It feels forced and unrealistic.
Overall, I’d say you should watch this movie. The acting, the story, the characters are all great. I’d love to hear what you thought about the movie or if you’d consider on checking it out. Comment below!